Thursday, May 6, 2010

Good News and Bad News

First, the bad news: I got in a bike crash on my way home from work the other day. One of my wheels slipped into a MUNI streetcar track and down I went. Luckily my bike is fine (a Jamis Aurora, which is made out of steel, so very tough!). And I'm more or less intact as well (some scrapes and soreness).

The good news is that, when I got home, I found out that I had gotten a personal note and donation from Fritz Maytag, the former owner of Anchor Brewing (he just sold the company this month to two local investors who seem to want to keep it pretty much the same, which is great to hear). Mr. Maytag is really the godparent of modern craft brewing in America, and is one of the major reasons we have good micro-brewed beer in this country, after Coors, Miller, and Bud pretty much took over the industry during the 1970s and 80s. Anchor's beers are still some of the best around--Anchor Steam is absolutely unique, and Anchor Porter is one of my absolute favorite dark beers of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment