Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Gear: Pearl Izumi Optik Jacket

It was windy, cloudy, and sometimes misting on my 40-mile ride today. Good thing I bought a cycling jacket yesterday:

After trying on about 15 jackets, I settled on the sleek $75 Pearl Izumi Optik. The main drawback is that it doesn't have any pockets, but I figured I could just reach under the jacket into my jersey's pockets, which turned out not to be a problem.

Riding over Golden Gate Bridge this morning, I started to worry that the jacket was going to trap in too much sweat, but once the wind really started to pick up, I was glad that the fabric is pretty impermeable.

Bob Dylan was really obsessed with wind in the 70s. There's that song "Idiot Wind" on Blood on the Tracks, and then that line from "Isis": "As we rode through the canyons, through the devilish cold," which implies a heavy wind, even if it doesn't say it outright. I think about that a lot when I'm on the road and I run out of other things to think about...

Bob Dylan is pretty impermeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment